Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Meatloaf Baby

Yes...it actually was the size of a maybe slightly premature baby. Five pounds of ground turkey! I wanted to make something big I could live off of for a while, and turkey meatloaf was just the thing. I made this recipe once before and ate it for at least 5 days. The recipe is from Barefoot Contessa and I think is probably for a party (it's for 8-10 servings). It's really simple but I think that is best for meatloaf. Just some flavorings and a good douse of ketchup on top. I had most of the ingredients already (conveniently my last recipe, the pasta with breadcrumbs, left me with extra breadcrumbs and thyme). Ken and I split the cost of the turkey and when you calculate it up, we are saving a ton of money.

Since the meatloaf takes a while to cook, I made a quick dinner (tried some Trader Joe's Indian Fare Punjab Eggplant - pretty good) and then made up the loaf afterward. I just laughed when I finally dumped the big bowl of meat and onions on to the pan, it was huge! I told Ken he better be really excited for meatloaf. It cooks at a low temperature for about an hour and a half, but with my crappy oven it took more like two hours. But it is worth the time because the meat really stays tender. We took half of the meatloaf, wrapped it tight in foil and popped it in the freezer. Now in a few weeks when we're starving and don't know what to eat, we can pull it out, have a couple slices for dinner, and let the rest be gobbled up for sandwiches. Meanwhile, I cut a big middle slice to hold for a sandwich in the morning, and put the rest in the fridge. In the morning I made a mean meatloaf sandwich - a thick slice of the meat, a piece of pepper jack cheese, and some extra ketchup. For once I literally couldn't wait to get to lunch! Ken made one for his lunch today too. Tonight I had another slice with a side of rice pilaf.

Barefoot Contessa Turkey Meatloaf:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/turkey-meatloaf-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment