Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's On My Mind

First a quick word to extol the virtues of tofu. Where has tofu been all of my life? It's becoming a staple of my diet now, particularly since I discovered hefty servings of it at such a low price at TJ's. It is the perfect thing for a quick meal when I don't even have the energy to defrost a piece of chicken. I made a killer tofu stir-fry on Monday with red onions, mushrooms and broccoli. I have half it left over, sitting in a plastic container full of water (kind of looking like a science experiment).

Anyway, I'll admit life has gotten busier and I am finding less time to cook. I've luckily been able to get back into a gym routine, but now I get home later and I am ravenous. That isn't a great formula for cooking meals. But I am doing my best. I am finding so many recipes these days that excite me that I simply have to find the time. My culinary skills are building and so I am hoping to try some more ambitious projects.

Here's my list of cooking goals this year:
  • Braise a pork shoulder for BBQ pulled pork or carnitas
  • Make a pizza with actual raw dough
  • Make really decadent macaroni and cheese - I saw this one made on TV and was practically drooling - Cheese Lovers 5 Cheese Mac and Cheese
  • Try this fascinating potato recipe (I can't fathom what it would really taste like but I am so intrigued) - New Potatoes with Ginger and Mint
  • Make sushi (probably a veggie roll first, then get real raw fish involved!)
  • Cook homemade oatmeal
  • On the oat theme, also make homemade granola
  • Make more kinds of pesto (maybe sun-dried tomato next)
  • Slow-cook a rich bolognese sauce
  • Roast a rack of lamb
  • Make bread pudding - savory and/or sweet - I think this sounds delicious, Butternut Squash and Parmesan Bread Pudding
  • Figure out how to come close to recreating the white bean spread on the bruschetta at Mozza - To. Die. For.
  • Go to the Coolidge Corner Farmer's Market every weekend while it's open
  • Host a formal dinner party
Undoubtedly I will come up with more goals along the way, but I think this list should keep me busy for quite a while!

2 comments:

  1. Those are admirable goals - I would be happy to sample any of them except for the mac & cheese, which would be too intense for my anti-cheese tastebuds. This got me thinking about my cooking goals, which are not as lofty as yours, but still a big step forward for me:
    1. Make Ina Garten's brownie pudding.
    2. Find the ultimate recipe for go-to tomato pasta sauce.
    3. Make a fruit cobbler - haven't had one turn out well yet - the topping isn't crunchy enough.
    4. Continue to try new recipes for hearty soups.
    5. Learn some new pasta recipes that use sauteed anchovies or anchovy paste- love that flavor. (Don't tell Dad, or he won't eat it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good ones Ma! Brownie pudding should definitely happen when I am home, I saw that and it looks ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete