Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Maybe I Just Don't Like It

Tonight, I was STARVING. Of course I didn't take the chance to go to the grocery store over the weekend (I'm sorry, Target just overtakes all of my thoughts). I had to raid the pantry and see what I could find. Hmmm...random box of Israeli couscous. Israeli couscous is also called pearl couscous sometimes, it is basically larger pasta balls. I bought it once before and used it with a recipe I usually made with orzo. It worked well so I bought it again. I also had a bunch of leftover dried apricots from the chicken a little while ago. Add some feta crumbles and a bit of parsley...ok I can do something with this.

The instructions on the couscous box said to first toast them in some olive oil. I added some chopped onion and apricots, thinking the apricots could soften the way they did in that chicken dish. I added some chicken stock to it all and covered it. Annoyingly, this kind of couscous doesn't cook up like the normal kind, i.e. in five minutes. It takes longer, sort of like a true pasta, and I was very impatient. After cooking for a while, the liquid was absorbed but the whole thing was a bit mushy. And definitely needed a good bit of salt. I also got the idea to throw in some balsamic vinegar, again just thinking about the chicken from last week and hoping to get some more flavor. That helped, plus the parsley and feta. But overall I think I have learned that I don't really like this type of couscous. I am not sure why I keep buying it. I love regular couscous and used to eat it all of the time. I need the real thing. Grocery store tomorrow night - I will remedy this problem.

My recipe of the week is going to be turkey meatloaf. As I've mentioned before, I pick a recipe prior to every grocery store trip and the meatloaf caught my eye tonight. It takes way to long to have for dinner tomorrow, so I'm going to get it in the oven in time for American Idol, then make myself a killer meatloaf sandwich for lunch the next day! I'll report back on how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to make the best meatloaf sammy for lunch tomorrow. This is very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, the meatloaf is actually making my mouth water, even though I'm stuffed. Second, I do like Israeli couscous, but only when the other ingredients in the recipe are spectacular, because otherwise it just seems to be too mushy. That's just my two cents. Or shekels.

    ReplyDelete