Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Two Days of Lunch

I'm trying very hard to continue to make some hearty meals for lunch during the week on Sunday or early in the week. I've been craving a good salad, so tonight I made my own variation on Giada DiLaurentis' Garbanzo Bean and Zucchini salad. I kept the garbanzo beans, otherwise known as chickpeas, since they are so hearty and full of protein - exactly what one needs on a busy work day. The recipe called for raw zucchini chopped into bite size pieces, but I am not a huge fan of it raw, so I decided instead to grill some thick slices of zucchini and red bell pepper with just some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then I cut them up into pieces and tossed it with the garbanzo beans, defrosted frozen corn, and chopped red onion. Giada then adds chunks of Parmesan cheese to the salad, which I absolutely love, but good parm is expensive and I already had some feta crumbles in the fridge. With the Mediterranean flavors already going on in the salad, I figured the feta would work just fine. I also didn't have lemons for the dressing, so I made a very fast balsamic vinaigrette and tossed everything together. I left out the lettuce completely as there just didn't seem to be a need for the fluff of it. I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of lettuce as a whole. I split my salad into two plastic containers, and with a yogurt or an apple, my lunch will be great. It tasted pretty good right after being made, but I anticipate it will be even better tomorrow after marinading in the dressing. By leaving out the lettuce I could mix it all up, as the vegetables in the salad now can easily stand up to a night in dressing and shouldn't be soggy tomorrow (or so I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment