Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Yes, Brussel Sprouts for Dinner

Tonight, my plan changed about 4 times. I decided late in the day that I would stop at TJ's after work and very quickly looked up a new recipe I'd just found this week using lentils. At the store, my plan changed. While I surprisingly found the leeks I needed trimmed and nicely packed, when I reached the grain area there were no lentils. Now I am aware at how organic hippie this sounds but, what Trader Joe's doesn't carry lentils??? Really? I'd have to make a stop at Shaw's tomorrow - change of plans. In the lentil area I came upon my beloved real couscous, and I planned to buy that anyway, so maybe couscous? Then, wandering into the vegetable area, aiming initially to get some cut up sweet potatoes, a very small bag of brussel sprouts caught my eye. Now that would be something randomly yummy! I grabbed them and remembering the half of a grilled chicken breast I had leftover from last night, decided I'd make them tonight's dinner.

First, I thought I'd make Barefoot Contessa's Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta, but subsitute a piece of turkey bacon stolen from my roommate. Time, however, got the best of me and I thought, no, let's go simple, just roast them. When I was home in Pennsylvia the last time, I made dinner with my sister and we'd decided to do roasted brussel sprouts as a side dish. I know a lot of people think they are gross but if you can, try them roasted. All I did was cut each one in half, and toss them in a bowl with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Spread them out on a baking sheet and put them in a hot oven (400 or so). This "for one" size was done in about 20 minutes. They brown amazingly and some of the outside leaves fall off and crisp up almost into chips. Do yourself a favor and heavily salt them, it is utterly delicious. The little bit of chicken I had in the fridge (pieces that didn't fit into my quesadilla) added the protein I needed.

I love these kind of cooking nights! It is so fun just to grab something, get inspired, and make it good. I was a little cranky leaving work and a good meal just lifted my spirits. I will go to the store tomorrow or Friday and get the lentils for my next recipe. I'll report back on the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment