Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

You Could Charge Me $6.95 For That

My roommate Ken and I met up at Trader Joe's after work to get some things for the week, and at the time I was planning to make a warm spinach salad that I saw on 30 Minute Meals on Sunday. But on the way I home I already wasn't craving it and wasn't sure what to do now. Ken had been at his parents house for Easter and told me that he brought back a bag of tomatoes from home. Immediately I just said, I know what we're making - we're making caprese. It was probably because I had just been eyeing basil, thinking about making more pesto, but I knew Ken was a big fan. I grabbed the basil, knowing there'd be plenty left for pesto, and found this really convenient package of pre-sliced fresh mozzarella.

We got home and I began to make dinner. We had also just bought a new loaf of whole wheat artisan style sliced bread, and I thought, hey, these could be awesome paninis. I made up two big sandwiches with huge slices of tomatoes, a hefty layer of basil leaves, pieces of mozzarella, salt, pepper, and a douse of olive oil and balsamic vinegar from my pantry. I heated up my grill pan and sprayed it with some cooking spray, then placed the sandwiches on it and pressed them with my big pasta pot. It pressed them just enough and we got a great dark toast on the bread. They were amazing! The ingredients were perfect and I think I really got the right proportions. We sat down to eat and Ken just said, you could charge me $6.95 for this at any little sandwich place. I was so proud!


That's a sexy sandwich

2 comments:

  1. I had not seen it but you are right. That does look good. Some day you could make one for your father who sat through a lot of dance shows and paid for college.

    :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to hold me to that $6.95? :-P This Panini needs to be made again...and soon!

    ReplyDelete