Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Highlights in Food Writing

Tonight's meal was yet another stir-fry, only this time I tried a new Trader Joe's sauce - their peanut satay sauce. It's very tasty but probably meant more to be a dip than a sauce, as it was a little thick. I can't say it was creative, but my meal did the job. With the apartment to myself the last couple nights, though, I have been doing a lot of reading about cooking, and thought I'd take a moment to highlight some new food writing I have discovered. The first is a column on the Serious Eats site called "Meat Lite." It's co-written by one of the restaurant critics in Philadelphia, so I am sure I have read some of her reviews, as that is where my family lives. The concept of the column is recipes using only a small amount of meat. I've never called myself a vegetarian, but I do tend to not eat as much meat as I used to. I'm definitely on a meatless kick right now - in fact today I bought some Gardenburgers and ingredients to make hummus sandwiches this week for lunch (sliced avocado, cucumbers, and feta - so good). Living in California introduced me to tofu and veggie burgers, and honestly I just really like vegetables. I also am watching my spending, and meat can cost a lot. I really like the idea of stretching just a little bit of meat far, which is also what they talk about in the column. I'm trying their Lentils with Caramelized Leeks and Sausage tomorrow night.

Via some links from "Meat Lite" I discovered a new obsession - Smitten Kitchen. This website is everything I would love my own blog to be (maybe I shouldn't be saying that publicly?). I really have to start taking some pictures. The writer is a little more into the baking end of things than I am, but the photography is so impressive. I can bake, I just don't do it that often, I don't find I have the time. I am excited to keep reading though - I want to learn everything I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment