Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sichuan with Sissy

Tonight I had dinner planned with my sister Betsy and she requested something that would be good for her sore throat. We decided to try Sichuan Garden, a very highly recommended Sichuan-style Chinese restaurant just across the street from my apartment, so that she could have some hot and sour soup.

This place was awesome. It was pretty quiet on this night so we got served very quickly, in fact I think the whole meal was 30 minutes. We each had a small bowl of hot and sour soup that was very flavorful and really full of tofu and mushrooms. Betsy said it felt great on her throat. Then we decided to share the dan dan noodles and Kung Pao chicken. Dan dan noodles are something I have only seen at specific Sichuan restaurants but as you'd expect, each time I've had it its been slightly different. The first time it was more like a very spicy version of a pad thai with a peanut-flavored sauce and shredded pork. This time it was a thinner spaghetti noodle with a vinaigrette and very little pork. But both times it was delicious and crazy spicy (which I love). The kung pao was some of the best I've had - not greasy and not too heavy. The restaurant was clearly very authentic, and I've read some Yelp reviews saying so, since I can't proclaim to be an expert in this field. Just don't go here if you don't like spicy food, its what they specialize in.

All together we ate plenty and still had some left over (though it was mostly a plate full of the water chestnuts in the kung pao because Betsy doesn't like them - at least it meant I could take it home!). It was very well-priced and incredibly quick. Check it out if you're ever in my neck of the woods!

http://www.sichuangarden2.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sichuan-garden-brookline

No comments:

Post a Comment