Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Trying Tofu

Lately I've been on a kick of ordering tofu in several Asian dishes I like to eat, instead of chicken or other meat. I thought maybe I'd take a shot at cooking tofu at home, as it is an inexpensive and healthy protein option. I did a little research on how to cook it and found not too much that was consistent, so I cut it into small slices and let it saute in a bit of vegetable oil. I was hoping the pieces would brown up like you find in the restaurants. It did, but even with sufficient oil it stuck a bit. I'll have to figure out how to fix that for next time, I still have half of the tofu left. I took it out when it was brownish and then stir fried some frozen broccoli with a bit of minced garlic and the rest of the green onions I had left over from another recipe. I when they were cooked through I added the tofu back into the pan, and tossed it all with some Trader Joe's General Tso's sauce, which I have now become obsessed with! It's sweet but not overly, and a little goes a long way. It's very similar to take out I've had. I served it over the rest of a pack of microwave brown rice, also from TJ's. I'd opened that up a couple of nights ago to make a bean and rice burrito. You will soon notice a theme here - since I generally cook most nights for just myself, I try to never let anything go to waste. I hate throwing food away!

All in all, the entire thing took only about 25 minutes, and it was delicious! Though I'm pretty sure that sauce could make roadkill taste good. The tofu was surprisingly close to what I was going for, slightly caramelized and crispy on the outside. It was filling and healthy. Now to figure out what to do with the rest of the tofu...

No comments:

Post a Comment