Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

What am I eating tonight?

Hello friends, and welcome to The Dinner Blog! I'm a food nerd. I watch a little too much Food Network and I keep a binder full of recipes in plastic covers (its in case things spill!). This is my food story.

My life is in transition. What better time to start a blog (haha)?? I moved to Boston in early December after living in Los Angeles for the last four and a half years. I quit the job I'd once only dreamed of getting (as an assistant in drama development at ABC Network - I worked on shows like Pushing Daisies, October Road, and Life on Mars) and moved myself back another 3000 miles to find a new path that would make me purely happier. After settling into a beautiful Brookline apartment with my good friend Ken, I realized I had a lot of time on my hands and I better find a productive way to use them. I hadn't had a long period of not working full time (plus tons of overtime and one terribly long commute) in five years and it definitely felt strange. Cooking a good meal every night seemed to be a great way to fill my evenings. I was also watching a ton of Food Network shows - some of the only decent programming on in the middle of a Wednesday. Not only that, with no job I obviously needed to pinch the pennies, and cooking at home is one of the best ways to do so.

My dinners are simple. My dinners are usually spent sitting at my small dining table with Ken, watching Seinfeld and Jeopardy. Sometimes they are on my own at my coffee table. So the goal is always quick, easy, and healthy. I have many go-tos, basic dishes that I've been perfecting over the years. Then sometimes I pick a specific recipe to make. I try to choose one recipe every time I go to the grocery store. Since I usually cook for only me, I tend to go for things that will create enough for a dinner and a lunch to bring to work the next day.

As much as I love to cook, I like going out to eat just as much! I now actively use the term "Yelping" to find the best place to out. There is nothing better than discovering a cheap hole in the wall with absolutely delicious food! I've been lucky enough to get to some exceptional restaurants in my life and it is my goal to get to more. Eating at Le Bernardin in New York is definitely on my "To Do Before I Die" list. So here and there, I'll also be blogging about what I'm getting in Boston, and what I recommend.

As I said before, my life is still changing, and I'm about to start a new job in a totally new industry. I'm slightly freaked out, but much more excited, and I don't really know what my life is going to look like over the coming months. In every real job I've ever had, I've been a virtual slave, and doing everything I really wanted to was challenging. Now I have a job where I can leave the office at 5pm, take the T to the gym, and still be home by 7:30. I can cook a hearty meal instead of constantly stopping for take out because its too late and I'm too exhausted to cook. Or so I hope.

There is probably little need for another blog in this world but I hope you'll check it out! Even if its only for me, I'll enjoy keeping track of what I'm doing. I think you'll relate. I'm young, I'm living on my own, I'm trying to save money, and I'm trying to save time. I'll be doing my best to post as many nights as I can, so check back regularly! I hope you'll join me in the telling of my food story. As they say, bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment