Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

What To Do With Extra Bacon and Eggs

A couple weeks ago, I bought a pack of bacon I was supposed to bring to a friend's "Unemployment Breakfast," and forgot to take it with me. Shout out to his amazing banana chocolate chip pecan pancakes! I kept noticing it in the fridge but I never did any thing with it. Finally last week when I was sick, I'd used a couple slices for a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich for dinner, so now the package was open and was going to go bad soon. Watching 30 Minute Meals one night, Racheal was making a carbonara-inspired pasta made with bacon and eggs. Ken and I both were drooling, so I promised to make it or something similar that week. I remembered my mom mentioning a quick pasta she'd made with the same ingredients, so I asked her for the recipe. Fittingly, my first dinner blog comes via my mother and isn't that how all cooking should come?

The recipe is called Late Night Pasta and its from Emeril Lagasse:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-late-night-pasta-recipe/index.html

It's incredibly simple and I didn't even have to go out for any ingredients (thanks to a random jar of red pepper flakes I tossed in a moving box). The sauce can be made easily in the time it takes the pasta to cook. I didn't have any shallots so I just used a small onion, which I thought worked just fine. I think I actually would have put more onion in than the recipe calls for. I also went heavy on the red pepper flakes, per my mom's suggestion, and it gave the pasta a real kick. The egg and the cheese create a creamy coating to the pasta and no one can ever complain about bacon. It made enough for Ken and I to have hearty portions, and for me to take for lunch the next day, a major plus for anyone who is trying to save money. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment