Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Spicy Weeknight Supper

I decided it was time to make another batch of chipotle pork burgers since they were so successful last time. I bought most of the ingredients almost a week ago, but for some reason, I couldn't find ground pork anywhere. Three different stores didn't have it in stock so I finally caved and decided to try the recipe out with ground turkey. Luckily, it worked beautifully. My burgers grilled up juicy and with a wonderful crust on the outside. Again, I couldn't get over how well the chipotle flavor meshes with the grilled meat.

Burgers cooking away

To go with the burgers, I found the perfect recipe by Mark Bittman in last Sunday's New York Times.
It was one of those recipes that I didn't even have to read through to know I would like it. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Black Beans and Chili Dressing would undoubtedly compliment the burgers fabulously. Once more, Mark Bittman did not let me down. I never would have thought to mix the ingredients that are in this salad - roasted sweet potatoes, bell pepper, black beans, cilantro, and a dressing made with jalapeno - but they tasted like they were made for each other. The dressing was particularly delicious and had a great heat. In fact, I still have a bit of burn in the back of my throat.

A colorful and healthy salad!

All in all, the meal was a huge success! Filling, but not too heavy,
and still healthy. It was so good that Ken did all the dishes!

The complete meal

No comments:

Post a Comment