Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday Night is Right for Baking

I was really bored today (leave it to me to have a really busy weekend and get a holiday off and still be bored) so I was looking for a project. Baking seemed like a great project! It didn't take much to persuade Ken to join me in a baking adventure, and we settled on Blueberry Boy Bait from Smitten Kitchen. Smitten Kitchen is one of the most impressive home cooking blog out there, and her photography blows me away. I'd seen this recipe for a fluffy blueberry cake (Smitten Kitchen's Deb shares the story of the original name of the cake) and been instantly drawn to it. It reminded me of one big blueberry muffin! The cake was quite easy to prepare, and it sure doesn't hold back on the butter. I knew it would be good, though! I actually pulled a little of the butter out and added a slightly larger amount of milk. We also realized that I'd only purchased a 6 ounce container of blueberries instead of the 12 ounces that the recipe needed, so instead, we added some raspberries I had on hand. What could be bad about more berries? It smelled delicious and looked perfect!

Oh delicious blueberry cake!

This cake is SO GOOD. I can't say one bad thing about it. It is so moist and fluffy that we actually weren't sure if it had cooked all of the way through while cutting into it, even though we'd tested it before taking it out of the oven. The cinnamon and sugar topping caramelized and made a little bit of a crispy top, and the berries were sweet and tart. I could have eaten the whole pan in one sitting. It would be good with almost any light fruit - thinly sliced apples, peaches, or strawberries - just nothing too heavy or chunky because it would fall straight through the cake. I cannot wait to make this again. I'll be eating it for breakfast all week!

2 comments:

  1. That cake looks so good! Do you think it would work with chocolate chips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was insanely delicious. I think it could work with chocolate chips. My only concern would be that the cake is so buttery that it might be a little much to add chocolate. I think it benefited from the tartness of the berries.

    ReplyDelete