Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Review: Dorado Tacos & Cemitas

One of the things I miss the most about California is authentic Mexican food. While there are a fair amount of places in Boston to get a good burrito, there are few true taquerias in the area. Luckily, I've found one in Dorado Tacos & Cemitas. I'd heard only good things about the small restaurant that just opened in the JFK Crossing area of Brookline, so tonight seemed like a good night to take a walk and try it out.

Dorado doesn't have burritos on their menu, just a wide array of different tacos. The best deal is to get the taco plate, which includes any two tacos with a side of decent rice and very spicy black beans. I went with their housemade chorizo and the Ensenada - a more traditional take on the fish taco. The chorizo was well-spiced and sort of sweet, and best of all, not too oily. It came with pico de gallo and obviously fresh-made guacamole. The Ensenada was delicious as well, with a big piece of lightly fried fish, crispy cabbage, pico de gallo, and a very light crema. The fish was delicious and not oily either. The batter reminded me of a tempura. All of the flavors meshed so well, and nothing overtook the other. The whole meal was wonderful, inexpensive, and not heavy like some Mexican can be.

Chorizo taco with rice and beans
(Thanks to Ken and his trusty I-Phone for the photo!)


I'm excited to go back and try a few other taco combinations. I noticed someones shrimp tacos looking really good and Ken loved the swordfish taco as well. Dorado also makes cemitas - which are a type of Mexican sandwich. The ingredients sound similar to the tortas I ate constantly in Los Angeles and miss desperately, so I can't wait to give one a try. I highly recommend Dorado!

Dorado Tacos & Cemitas
401 Harvard St.
Brookline, MA
617-566-2100

1 comment:

  1. I have to stop reading this, it instantly makes me starving.

    ReplyDelete