Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Time Warp Enchiladas

Enchiladas are one of the first things I learned to make myself. My seventh grade Spanish class had a Mexican food day and I decided to make a whole pan of enchiladas. Admittedly, I cheated, then and now, by using pre-made enchilada sauce, but I think they can be very good. This week, I tried out Trader Joe's version, my "impulse buy" this week while shopping. For years following my enchilada success, I would make the same recipe over and over again with my mom for easy family dinners. It is so simple to make and incredibly comforting.


Start with boneless chicken breasts or tenders and dice them into cubes. Saute the chicken until just barely done with diced onions, garlic, and really any sort of vegetable you have on hand - I often use a green bell pepper. This week, I didn't have anything in stock so I used only the onions and garlic. Once the chicken is done and the vegetables are soft and brown, you're ready to roll up your enchiladas. I just place one 10 inch tortilla in pan (be sure to spray it with some cooking spray), then put about 3 big spoonfuls of the chicken mixture and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese straight down the middle. Next, roll them so the seam side is down. Once they are all wrapped, pour enchilada sauce over the top until they are completely coated in sauce but not drowning, otherwise they can get too mushy. Bake 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted, and that's it! I almost always serve with either some beans or Mexican rice. This night we ate pinto beans seasoned with a bit of cumin and chili powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment