Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Big Salad

Have you ever thought about what might have made up Elaine's infamous "Big Salad" on Seinfeld? I have. In fact, I imagine it may have been quite similar to the salad we made tonight - lovingly called That Good Salad via AllRecipes.com.

The salad is much like a slightly lighter and more gourmet chef's salad. Chef's salad was my first salad love, even if it was mostly for the pieces of meat and cheese in it. As I child I'd eat it drowned in ranch dressing! This version uses bacon (turkey for us) rather than ham, and leaves out the traditional turkey altogether, though it would be delicious in this salad as well. Almonds add a nice crunch, and we left our Swiss cheese cubed instead of shredded. I love a big hunk of cheese. The light lemon vinaigrette was all the dressing it needed, though I omitted the garlic. There was enough flavor already! We also threw in a bunch of kalamata olives at the last minute while cleaning out the fridge.


Indeed, it was a "big salad." This salad is a true meal all in one with meat, cheese, vegetables, and bread. That Good Salad is filling, but not heavy. Also, do yourself a favor and bake your own croutons! A baguette is barely $2 and they are done after 15 minutes in an oven. You'll notice the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment