Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Pork Chops and Rice Done Right

I made a great impromptu dinner tonight - grilled mustard pork chops and brown rice with peas and onions. I hadn't made pork chops in ages, but I picked some up on a huge grocery shopping trip last weekend. In anticipation of Thanksgiving and the coming cold month, I grabbed the car my sister and I share in order to do a massive grocery order. I made a list of ingredients for several recipes that could be easily made midweek, and tried to buy a few simple dinner staples like a pack of 4 boneless pork chops and 2 for $5 boxes of brown rice.

I ate out all weekend so I was craving something healthy, light, and homemade. The pork chops were my first idea because of
how quickly I knew they would cook. I know mustard goes well with pork, so I decided to whip up a marinade with Dijon mustard, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and some thyme that I had left over from my apricot balsamic chicken. I mixed it up in my mini food processor in no time. I covered the pork chops in the rub and let them sit for about 10 minutes. I then grilled them for just a few minutes.

On the side, I decided to whip up some brown rice. That sounded boring, though, so I checked out
the fridge and freezer for things I could add to it. I saw half an onion so I chopped that up and sauteed it in some butter and olive oil. Then Ken helped me add the rice, getting it coated in the onion and butter, and water. Toward the end, I threw in some peas. The problem was, as always, I have a rice problem. I can never make it right. It's so simple but I mess it up. At first it was too hard and there wasn't enough liquid. So I added some, but really too much. We saved it by stirring it over high heat to absorb the water. It was a little mushier than anticipated, but it kind of turned into a risotto. It made the whole thing kind of creamy.


Everything was delicious. The meat in particular was fabulous - you could really taste the mustard, the garlic, and particularly the thyme. It was tender but a little crispy on the edge. It was so simple but so good. Even better, it was super-healthy with lean meat, barely any oil, whole grains, and a little bit of veggie. The cost wasn't bad either, in fact, it was downright cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment