Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

A One Dish Meal

Tonight I tried out a very simple and easy recipe I bookmarked off The Kitchn a few weeks ago, Chicken and Artichokes in Wine Sauce. With a last stop at the market for a lemon, it was a perfect night for a hearty but not time-consuming meal. The ingredients can be mostly found in your freezer at any time and this whips up in no time. On a slightly high heat, the artichokes brown up in just a few minutes, and don't need much tending to, so you can get the chicken cut and dredged in flour by the time they are done. Again, the chicken cooks up fast and the sauce thickens with just the bit of flour off the meat. All it is is wine and lemon (with a touch of butter I added myself).

A one-pan meal is the best.

The dish is a saute, but the artichokes really fill you up. I can imagine this would be really delicious over some orzo, as its origins are Italian. I recommend a heavy hand with pepper and definitely use a decent wine. There isn't much (or anything really) else in the sauce and you want to be sure to have good flavor. The lemon, added right at the end, provides a wonderful tart bite at the end.

The best part? It took barely 20 minutes to make. And, I can toss a bag of frozen artichokes in my freezer so I can make this almost any night. I'm also pretty sure I could use the same recipe with a different vegetable, and it would be equally good. What a great find!


Chicken and artichokes ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment