Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Sunday Treats, Then Healthy Eats

I took a weekend trip up to Gloucester, MA with some pals and had my first experience at Woodman's, a seafood legend in New England. I'd requested some good, old fashioned fresh fried seafood and this was truly the place to go. They are well-known for their fried clams and other goodies, not to mention the pick-your-own lobster set-up out front. I'm not actually big on clams so I decided to go with the fried sea scallops. I couldn't believe the size of my "fried plate!" Each plate comes with both fries and some of the best onion rings I've ever had (why have to choose, I ask you?) and what must have been 20 huge scallops. As hard as I tried, I couldn't come close to eating it all. But combined with that sea air and the beautiful blue sky, it was an amazing meal that was quintessentially New England.

When Sunday rolled around, I certainly wasn't craving anything heavy. I decided to try my Penne with Chicken, Lemon, and Feta recipe again to see if I could improve it. I made the same recipe but added shallots along with the garlic, and mixed in some shreds of basil at the end. As I expected, the new ingredients added that extra umph and it was yet again quite delicious. Tonight as well felt like a light food night, so I went incredibly simple. I bought one random zucchini at the grocery store, thinking I might put it in the pasta, but I'd decided against that so I needed to use it up. Squash is so summer and I had craved it. I just sauteed some sliced zucchini with garlic, olive oil, chili flakes, salt and pepper, then added some chopped basil. I ate it over some Multigrain Pilaf from Trader Joe's, which is made from soybeans and pearl millet, flavored with a slightly Indian flavor. I never knew what millet was until I looked it up tonight - it is basically an ancient grain used mostly in Africa and India, which explains why it goes so well with turmeric and similar spices. I also use it as a rice substitute under stir fry, and that will be the leftover's job tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment