Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Summer Food

Last week, my office hosted a very nice luncheon to celebrate the end of a summer student program that we sponsor, and surprisingly, the food was delicious. Normally we are forced into using the in-house caterers at the hospital I work for, but since we had this lunch off-site, we could pick whoever we wanted. We used Rebecca, founder of the small Boston chain Rebecca's Cafe (though she no longer owns it), and she told us upon ordering that she would be choosing some of the menu based off what she found that week at the farmer's market. We had poached salmon with mustard sauce, green beans in a light vinaigrette, and this amazing rice salad. The salad was so delicious, very light and using fresh ingredients, including one of my ultimate favorite summer items - fresh corn. As I ate the leftovers that Rebecca very nicely packed up for us after the event, I tried to figure out what was in it. She'd also added radishes, cornichons, and a good heaping of dill. It was exactly what I like to eat.

Fast forward to Monday night, when I decided to use up the box of whole wheat couscous I'd had for a while as a bed for some stir fry in lieu of rice. I made what I thought was a 2 person serving, but actually it was a 4 person serving. I had quite a lot leftover. That's when I got the idea to make my own version of Rebecca's rice salad with the couscous instead - brilliant! Of course, it was just my inspiration, and I added my own twists. Fresh corn was a requirement though, and I cut the kernels off an entire ear for the salad. Then I added chopped scallions (also in Rebecca's), halved grape tomatoes, fresh dill, and some feta cheese. A little salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, and olive oil was all the dressing it needed.

The result was actually somewhat similar to what I'd had last week but definitely my own. I always forget how much I like dill until I use it in something. The corn and tomatoes are at the peak of their seasons and were perfectly ripe. Today was hot and very muggy, and this light meal was the perfect end to a summer workday. I can't wait to eat the rest for lunch tomorrow! And, I topped off my night with a "healthy sundae" - Greek yogurt, strawberries, and Midnight Moo!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds amazing. Whatever gene in you provides these culinary instincts...where is it in me???

    ReplyDelete