Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

An Ode to Brookline Spa

Friday nights I don't cook. It's a rule of mine. It's my night to really relax and that's how I like it. Ken and I usually order from one of our standard delivery or take out places; this isn't a night where we experiment too often, it's all about comfort. That's where the Brookline Spa comes in. It's a pizza and sub shop right down the road from me, and it is most often where we order Friday night dinner. I decided it was the night to finally try the Spa's Ranch Pizza. Yes, that's right, ranch pizza. I have an unabashed love of ranch dressing, but I have had to almost fully eliminate it in my diet so I don't turn massive. If I have it, I'll use it on everything. It is what it sounds like - basically a white pizza with ranch dressing as the sauce. It is then topped with mozzarella, bacon, tomatoes, and diced chicken cutlet. The crust managed to be both chewy and crispy at the same time. It might be the best pizza I've ever had.

This pizza is a definite once in a while thing - I cringe to think of how many calories I just inhaled. It was completely worth it. It has also affirmed something I have thought for a while now - the Brookline Spa in my neighborhood of Brookline Village is truly one of the best pizza and sub shops I've ever come across. I have sampled a myriad of items from their menu and not one has ever disappointed me. Some highlights include:
  • The Furio - grilled chicken, spinach, fresh mozzarella, and roasted red peppers with a pesto sauce, all on a soft foccasia - heavenly
  • Eggplant Parm - HUGE and incredibly comforting - my sister's personal favorite, I have once brought it all of the way to Cambridge to her
  • Club Sub - literally all of the things on a club sandwich on a really good sub roll - so simple yet so good. It's amazing what really fresh ingredients do to a sandwich.
  • Bumpy Wrap - my current obsession - grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, melted American cheese, light bit of ranch dressing - I probably rate this the top thing I've had at the Spa
I live a 5 minute walk from the Spa and it has become the go-to place for me and Ken. Sometimes I wish I didn't live so close to it! If you ever find yourself in the area, stop by. There's no real seating but it's not that kind of place. It would be great picnic food. The only problem is that they are closed on Sundays! When Ken and I first got to Boston and football was still on, we always wanted to get sandwiches and would go to look at the menu and realize, oh no, its closed! They could make a good buck!

Brookline Spa
75 Harvard St.
Brookline, MA
617-566-9446

3 comments:

  1. If they were open on Sundays during football season they would easily have our business each week. Maybe we should talk to the ownership!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wingman Malcølm Devine at 5:40pm June 21:

    This is EXACTLY what I mean when people ask me what I miss about living in NYC (and it's environs) I say I miss pizza and sandwiches from the Northeastern states. No one ever believes me. And also: there's a place in Stoughton called the Town Spa that sounds similar, but it's a sit down restaurant - think they're related?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably very similar...there are a number of Spas in the Boston area, apparently it is just an old-fashioned term for sub shop. I totally get what you mean, I missed this stuff when I was in LA too! My friends and I were constantly on the hunt for decent sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete