Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

The Best Wrap Ever

I always find it funny how good food can come out of nowhere. Sometimes you toast that bread to the exact right toastiness. Or even better, you put the perfect balance of milk and sugar into your coffee. There is nothing like that. I like to play around with whatever I have in the house, and sometimes you find a combination of ingredients that is so randomly good, it actually moves into your normal food making. Tonight, I made the best wrap I have ever made, and I can't wait to make it again.

It probably sounds like nothing special but there was just something about this wrap that I really liked. A huge part of that flavor was the new peach salsa I bought at TJ's - a salsa I'd heard from multiple people was incredible and probably proving them right, it had been out of stock the last two times I went to buy it. It is delicious - sweet and smokey just like it says on the bottle. The mix of the creamy avocado, the sweet salsa, and the cheese with a little spice is awesome. I made a big piece of chicken and only used half of it, same with the avocado, so I can (and plan to) make another wrap tomorrow night. This is one that can go on the menu of my future cafe/Mexican restaurant. Here's the recipe:

Peach Avocado Wraps
Serves 2

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, grilled and cut into strips
1 avocado, sliced
1 tbsp. Trader Joe's Peach Salsa
1 tbsp. low-fat sour cream
2 slices pepper jack cheese
2 wheat tortillas

In a pan or toaster oven, melt one slice of pepper jack cheese on each tortilla. Toward one side of the tortilla, place grilled chicken and avocado slices on the tortilla. Spread sour cream on other side of the tortilla. Top chicken and avocado with salsa. Pull in sides and roll, cut in half and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar experience the other night while making a brisket - a last minute decision. I seared the brisket in a pan (with just salt and pepper) for about 5 minutes on each side. Then I placed it in a roasting pan and deglazed the frypan with water and a splash of red wine that happened to be laying around. I poured the water/wine mixture into the roasting pan and threw in a sliced onion. About an hour into the cooking I added sliced carrots and a few red potatoes, then cooked it another hour. It was delicious - crisp on the top layer, juicy underneath where it had cooked in liquid. The vegetables were nicely carmelized and flavored by the "jus." It also made great sandwiches and will be a great dinner again tonight. Sorry I didn't cook like this when you were a kid.

    ReplyDelete