Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Hearty Pasta Dish

I was craving a hearty pasta. Lately I've been doing many more olive oil-based sauces so it felt like a great chance to change it up and break out the dutch oven. I chose this delicious-sounding dish from Gourmet called Pappardelle with Chicken and Mushroom Ragu.

Sauce...


Plus pasta!

The only change I made was to trade out the rosemary for a bit of oregano and red chili flake because oddly, I hate rosemary. I find the taste too woody and overpowering. I also used regular spaghetti as the pasta because it is what I had, but this ragu would taste good over any sort of pasta, long or short cut. I loved this dish for several reasons:
  1. I adore chicken thighs. While fattier than breast, the thigh is tender and really absorbs flavor. These pieces of chicken just melted in my mouth. Just be careful not to fully cook them as you saute.
  2. I loved the lightness of the sauce with the chunky tomato. This recipe calls for whole tomatoes to break up with a spoon. I was tempted to just buy diced tomatoes but I was smart to choose the whole. I guess that is what makes it a ragu.
  3. Wilting in arugula added a nice bite and texture. I don't use greens enough in my cooking.
The recipe makes food for four at least and is super-cheap, so I'd highly recommend this for a potluck or dinner party! Hearty pasta craving satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment