Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Review: La Morra, Brookline Village

I had a fabulous girls weekend this week and happily, it involved amazing food. I am lucky to have some good friends who share my love of food and are always excited to try new places. On the recommendation of my friend Jessica, we ate at La Morra, an Italian bistro in Brookline on Saturday night.

The atmosphere was much cozier than most restaurants can attain - it felt like eating in someone's home. It's candlelit and woody, and we sat in a really lovely table with a bench on one side. When we sat down, our hostess offered us a menu of chinchetti - small tapas-like dishes often served in bars in Italy. We ordered wine (a very crisp Pinot Grigio for me) and the fried risotto balls, which might have been my favorite dish of the night. Risotto is stuffed with cheese and a shredded beef that was smokey and tasted like it had cooked all day, then lightly fried. They were decadent and delicious. I also ate one too many pieces of fresh, warm bread just to have more of the fresh ricotta topped with olive oil, salt, and pepper that was in the middle of our table.

Everyone debated long and hard over what to order as an entree because so many items looked so good! I eventually landed on their lasagna at the recommendation of the waitress. It was a great decision. It was vegetarian - layers of homemade pasta, braised kale, fresh local mushrooms, and ricotta cheese. On top was a sprinkling of garlic breadcrumbs. The flavors were so deep - everything here seemed slow-cooked, which I just love. The mushrooms were incredibly fresh and not overcooked and mushy. I tried a bite of my friend Lauren's tagliatelle with bolognese sauce, and also loved it. You can't get better than homemade pasta and real large chunks of meat.

I didn't have room for dessert but two friends ordered a strawberry-rhubarb compote, saying it was delicious. The service was quite good, though they definitely believe in long, lingering meals at La Morra. Our waitress answered all of our questions and gave us good recommendations. She offered tastes of wines and also poured me a half glass when I couldn't decide if I wanted another one. We just had a wonderful time. It's a great places to take visitors and I would certainly return Village, and enjoyed it immensely.

La Morra
48 Boylston St.
Brookline, MA 02445
(617) 739-0007

No comments:

Post a Comment